Sunday, May 3, 2009


This is a box full of the different outfits for the dolls

A metal sheet that is the home for the paper dolls

Cute paper dolls

The girls are really into dancing and their love for dolls is going strong in their old age. These are pictures of my latest project and it incorporates so many of the wonderful things that Abby and Zori love. It is a work in progress and I hope to have it done by the end of May. The pictures are not very good because I have no idea how to get rid of the glaring light that reflects off the shiny metallic surface of the board. It all began with a book of paper dolls that I bought from a used store. I had many an idea of what to do with these paper dolls and it finally turned into this huge deal that is now on the wall of the girls room. I put the dolls on pop sickle sticks to strengthen them and then put magnet strips on the back. I bought a huge sheet of metal from Home depot and some pieces of frame to finish it. I put it up and the metal was screaming to be prettified. I have a great idea that incorporates Mod Podge and I found these fake flowers on sale and added some magnets to make a perfect garden for the board and a butterfly that just screams "play with me." The background will go up as soon as I can find the perfect wrapping paper to cover the board in. I have looked at every store I regularly shop at and I have found that I need to look at other places. My plan is to mod podge the paper onto the Metal board and finish it with the frame. I will add a magnet sun and moon and am looking for a fun print of a castle that the girls will be able to decorate with as well. Jason has been the master cutter for most of the paper dolls. We tried to finish this for Easter but we all came down with a terrible cold the week of Easter and where delayed in everything but the cutting out of the dolls. Jason is very skilled with scissors and we have since picked up a teddy bear paper doll book to keep Jason busy while watching our weekly show, The Office. The dolls clothes have Velcro so the girls can dress them up in all of the beautiful gowns and outfits. They love it and it is becoming something that they do on Sundays when we get home from church. I will take pictures as I transform this ugly piece of metal into something feminine and fun. And if anyone knows of any good stores in the area to find cool wrapping paper, please let me know.

1 comment:

Mrs. Schwager said...

hah, it is so funny that we can see each other all the time and have no idea that we were both working on paper doll projects! sometimes dover has nice wrapping paper and there is a paper store downtown that has artsy wrapping paper too. i will show you my projects next time you come over.