Jason works hard. He is crazy busy and this is a source of life to him. I think that some people are wired this way; they are the most happy when their cup is overflowing. One of his many side jobs is teaching a World View class to highschoolers at a school over the hill (you can tell from my suave geographical reference that I am officially a local). San Jose is not far in distance but has one of the nastiest stretches of highway in the country joining it to Santa Cruz. Traffic is also a factor in our neck of the woods. Many people work over the hill and traffic can be crazy in the wee small hours of the morning. Jaosn's class starts at 8:00 which means he needs to be there at 7:30 am. This really is not that early and San Jose really is not that far. But when you add in the one car problem, crazy gas prices, a wife who needs that one car, it gets a little tricky pretty fast. So we had the great idea of the bus. Not only does it ease all of our problems but it makes us "green" and when you live here being green is a serious virtue. So we tested out our little baby of an idea and found it was the kind with sharp teeth that bit at innocent passers by. We had to wake up at 5:00 and have all of the kids in the car and ready to go by 5:20. I put on a really happy face (obviously generously provided by my merciful Father in Heaven) and cheerfuly loaded the kids in the car. Jason made it to school on time (we tested this of course a week before school started) and none of the kids where able to fall back asleep when we got home. So God gave us a way out, a door of escape from our crazy brain child. We had dinner with some great people the night before school. We told them we needed to leave on time because we had a very early morning. Well it turns out that the man of the house Mr. Johnson works in San Jose and leaves crazy early but not as early as the bus!! Well joy, joy, joy!! We rejoiced in this new found knowledge and his kind offer to take Jason to work in the morning and the rest of the mornings for that matter and stayed another hour at their house.
So my title does have relevence here but I needed to give you the backdrop first or the main story would appear as quickly and awkawrdly as the the world did from the black hole. And since I am not crazy and know the Maker who spoke the world into being, I too am speaking life into my story by way of background info.
Jason still has to take the bus home and it turns out that he is not only "green" but so urban. He takes the light rail as well. He is a jolly sort and comes straight from Jove so this is not a burden to him, it is actually a source of joy. It has become his most effective study time. His sermon prep is largelly done while traveling over the great pass. But their are bumbs even in public transportaion and he quickly fell upon one, or over one, or on one, I do not which it is but it is very likely that it is all three. The bus schedule changed and he could not catch the bus anymore, he had to wait for the next which stole an hour away from his day. But true to his jovial character he quickly and happily hatched a plan. An electric scooter!!! "If I had an electric scooter I could make the bus and would be in town a whole hour earlier." He was really excited. But when I pointed out (after much research for I wanted to fulfill this dream) many of the problems with the plan he was convinced. Now be convinced that my research was intense. I checked brands and voltage and cost and duration of charge and, and, and...It just would not work. We thought about a second cheep car but that was too much money. And then when at first you don't succeed, try again. I do not where it came from because the idea of bike revulsed him because of how big it was (now for some manish reason the bulky scooter did not have this negative side effect) but he thought a skateboard would suit just fine. He actually was really excited about it. I had many vsion of him crashing and dying but he is not a child and his case was strong. So one day I went out and surprised him. A longboard skateboard. He was very surprised because of my initial excitement was a little, well it was lacking in the excitement. But I knew that it would bring true joy to him and that is more then enough of a solid reason. He is really quite good at it because when he was younger it was something that he loved to do. The kids love it too and fight over who gets to ride it when it isn't whisking their dad to the bus and back home again. I think that this will defenitly become a family activity. I think that it would be so much for Jason to wear a collar and the whole fam regulary ride around downtown Santa Cruz on skatebaords!! So there it is, he had no idea that his youthly pleasures would come into such practical use as an adult. And yes he does catch that bus now and make it home an hour earlier.

4 comments:
Wow. I hope Kent doesn't read this. He boarded as a child too and would love one I'm sure. Go Farleys!!
I'd say you're all smart cookies. An hour is an hour, way to get it back.
wow, we are impressed - persistence must be a virtue of yours!
I really enjoyed your latest blogs. your adventures with the skate board and racoons are hillarious. Love you and miss you all. Love and prayers . grandpa
Post a Comment